Wambaka Kosea is a Doctor of Economics as well as a Doctor of Management, with over Eighteen (18) years of accumulated experience as a practitioner in authentic and verifiable Social Economic and Development Practices, Community System Strengthening Planning, Organizational Development and Management, Resettlement Interventions, Project Management, Strategic and Master Planning, Community Mobilization, Development Planning, Public Financial Management and Reviews, Governance, Policy Research and Project Cycle Management, Monitoring and Evaluation of National, Regional and International Programmes that evidently impact on Global Development, Livelihood Restoration Programmes, Capacity Building in Centralized and Decentralized settings, Pre-feasibility and Feasibility Project studies that guide project initiation, implementation and operations.
Kosea is a Group Chairman of Strategic Group of Companies (Strategic Friends International, Strategic African Bidder, Strategic Sustainable Development Fund, Strategic Luxuries Transport Company, Big Push Construction and Events De Strategic) as well as head of Party and Programmes of Strategic Friends International
He is and has been an enterprising consultant of mainly flag bearer National Projects that require coherent innovations funded by the European Union, UNDP, COMESA, Irish Government, World Bank, Global Fund and largely the Government of Uganda.
He has been a lead expert on Local Government approved thematic modules oversight capacity building consultancies in Uganda. He was the team leader for the development of the Resettlement Action Plan for acquisition of land for the oil refinery in Uganda. He is also the Team Leader for Resettlement Action Plan Implementation for land acquisition for the Oil Refinery that is nearly complete. He is the team leader for the development and implementation of a Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for acquisition of land for Petroleum Products Pipeline from Hoima to Kampala.
He was a pioneer consultant in developing strategic interventions that guided the development and operationalization of Regional Referral Hospitals to exist as self-accounting institutions.
He understands the operations of Governments in areas of planning and investment execution especially in guiding private investment that forms the key economic driver of national development.
He participated in the development of the first National Development Plan by inputting Tourism and Trade interventions and can now vividly guide investment operations towards the direction of the overall vision and mission of Uganda as a country in adherence to international benchmarks.
He understands the operations and strategic directions of key sectors of Uganda’s economy such as the Energy, Agriculture, Tourism, Industry, Trade and the Service Industry among others. Kosea was a key person in developing Ministerial Policy Statement for Uganda Wildlife Education Centre under the then Ministry of Trade, Tourism and Industry and could defend the same before Parliamentary session committee of Tourism.
He has made technical presentations in National and International engagements with high level of confidence and etiquette, He can therefore comfortably organize, represent and head a senior level team of professionals to execute organizational activities at local and international levels of a big National Entity. He executes consultancy services for different Government Ministries and therefore understands clearly, the operations of Governments and Government Institutions.
Kosea is a self-driven Professional who privately supports his career and professional growth, reads a lot and does a lot of personal research, he is regularly informed about the current world events and their global impacts and sometimes, suggests coherent mitigations to relevant institutions based on empirical evidence and analytical thinking that has been gained from experience and as part of professional training. He has been particularly trained by experience and academia to tackle and manage even the most difficult tasks and situations in appropriate calm manner.
Membership to Professional Bodies
- Full member of the World Economics Association;
- Member of the American Economic Association (No: 000450542);
- Member of the Royal Economic Society of UK (No: N9000055421)
Education and Skills: Academic and Executive Professional Development
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Economics, from College of Business and Management Science: Makerere University; Kampala, Uganda. (Dissertation Title: Foreign Aid, Domestic Savings and Economic Growth in Sub Saharan Africa. DSpace identifier: http://hdl.handle.net/10570/8338)
- Doctorate of Philosophy (PhD) in Management from Texila American University Guyana in Conjunction with the University of Central Nicaragua. (Dissertation: Effect of Competitive Strategies on Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Uganda)
- Masters in Economic Policy and Planning from College of Business and Management Science: Makerere University; Kampala, Uganda. (Dissertation Title: Factors influencing the flow of Savings into Savings and Credit Cooperative Societies in Uganda).
- Masters in Business Administration from East and Southern Management Institute: Arusha, Tanzania (Dissertation Title: Appraisal Systems and Job Performance of Employees at Uganda Wildlife Education Centre)
- Masters in International Commercial Law from the University of Salford; Manchester UK and Robert Kennedy College Switzerland. (Project Dissertation Title: Assessing the Efficiency and Effectiveness of International Commercial Arbitration Laws in East Africa.)
- Bachelor of Arts with Education (Economics) from School of Education Makerere University.
- Professional Development Certificate in Negotiation (Dealing with Difficult People and Problems) from Harvard Law School, Harvard University U.S.A.
- Professional Development Certificate in Intensive Leadership Excellence from the University of California (Berkeley Extension), Californian, U.S.A.
- Certificate in International Labour Migration: Economics, Politics and Ethics, University of Oxford UK
- Professional Development Certificate/Banking Game/Financial Boot Camp, finance and banking in Europe from Frankfurt School of Financial Management, Frankfurt, Germany
- Professional Development Certificate in International Taxation on Oil and Gas and Other Mining Activities from IBFD (International Tax Academy) Singapore.
- Professional Development Certificate in International Tax Aspects of Corporate Tax planning from IBFD Moscow, Russia.
- Professional Development Certificate in Energy and Mining Law, from Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- Professional Development Certificate in International Organisations Management from University of Geneva Switzerland.
- Certificate in Climate Change: The Science from University of British Columbia; Canada.
- Certificate in Global Diplomacy: The United Nations from University of London and SOAS University of London UK
- Professional Development Certificate in Analytical System Thinking from Enterprise University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Project Planning and Management from Makerere University; Kampala, Uganda.
- Post Graduate Certificate in Monitoring and Evaluation from Makerere University; Kampala, Uganda.
- Certificate in Human Resource Management; from Institute of Adult and Continuing Education, Makerere University
- Certificate in Strategic Procurement and logistics management; from Institute of Adult and Continuing Education, Makerere University
- Professional Development Certificate in Strategic Management from East and Southern African Management Institute, Arusha, Tanzania. A high profile management course that involved training in strategic thinking and long term planning for Big National and International Organizations including comprehensive and coherent means of sustainable impact monitoring and evaluation.
- Professional Development Certificate in Wetland and Poverty Reduction Project, from Wetlands International, with four major thematic modules namely;-Wetlands and Water Resource Management, Wetland Valuation, Policy Setting and Advocacy, and Financial Mechanisms
- Professional Development Certificate in Trade and Trade Policy from Uganda Programme on Trade Opportunities and Policy together with the European Union. A course that involved training in Regional integration and agreements in Africa (opportunities and challenges facing COMESA), the Hong Kong Ministerial conference and beyond, Aid for Trade, the Doha Work Program (lessons, challenges and the way forward), Mult-lateral trade systems (focusing on ACP-EU) trade relations, National Trade Policy for Uganda and dispute settlement in international trade.
- Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE), Masaba Senior Secondary School.
- Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE), Masaba Senior Secondary School.
- Uganda Primary Leaving Certificate (UPLC); Buyobo Primary School.
Consultancies Conducted and Remarkable Achievements
Team leader and or Technical Person in the following Consultancies
- Development and implementation of a Resettlement Action Plan for acquisition of land for the petroleum products pipeline from Hoima to Kampala (ongoing)
- Implementation of a Resettlement Action Plan for Acquisition of Land for oil refinery in Kabaale Buseruka, Hoima
- Development of a Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for the proposed acquisition of land for the establishment of the oil refinery in Kabaale Hoima. The assignment involved development of community development and livelihood restoration programmes.
- Development of a master plan and Strategic Environment Assessment of transforming the Source of the Nile River area into an international tourism destination.
- Beneficiary satisfaction and social accountability surveys within World Bank /USIMID/ programme participating Local Government municipal councils.
- Development of a National Community Systems Strengthening Plan, funded by the Global fund through TASO.
- Feasibility study of infrastructure rehabilitation and development at Uganda Wildlife Research and Training Institute.
- Development of a Community Score Card for community-based monitoring of Health Services in Uganda, funded by the Global Fund through TASO
- Customizing of the Elegu Boarder market Master Plan for Rwakhakha Site funded by COMESA through the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives.
- Development of state of Land use Compliance Report for Uganda’s Municipalities and Town councils using a scorecard to guide in the ranking of the level of performance of towns and cities
- Provision of voters’ education for 2016 Elections for Northern Uganda sub region
- Facilitation of voter education for 2021 general elections
- Development of a long-term development Plan and business and investment Profile for Moroto District.
- Community mobilization and sensitization of Karamoja sub region ahead of geophysical mapping of minerals.
- Community mobilization and stakeholder engagement for establishment of satellite conservation education centre in Mbale Uganda.
- Environmental and social impact assessment for the proposed project on the establishment of value addition and processing plants in Uganda under the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries.
- Baseline survey on issuance of certificates of customary ownership of communal land in selected Sub counties in Adjuman and Kabale Districts.
- Evaluation and re-development of a business plan for farming systems for Uganda Prisons.
- Training and capacity building of cross boarder women traders at MiraMA Hills funded by the World Bank under the Uganda National Roads Authority.
- Feasibility study for the establishment of satellite conversation education centres in Mbale and Mbarara.
- Feasibility study for the establishment of satellite wildlife conservation education center in Forportal
- Feasibility study for the establishment of satellite wildlife conservation education center in Masindi.
- Development of a Master Plan for Ministry of Health (Moroto Regional Referral Hospital)
- Preparation of a 5 year strategic plan for Ministry of Health (Kabale Regional Referral Hospital)
- Preparation of a 5 year strategic plan for Ministry of Health (Lira Regional Referral Hospital)
- Preparation of a 5 year strategic plan for Ministry of Health (Soroti Regional Referral Hospital)
- Development of a gender profile for Arua District.
- Training in conflict resolution, Procurement and Contract Management and Revenue Mobilization Skills for Ministry of Local Government (Bukwo District Local Government.)
- Developing a Client Charter for Ministry of Local Government (Apac District Local Government)
- Training in Monitoring and Evaluation for Ministry of Local Government (Amolatah District Local Government.).
- Training in Computer Skills and Gender awareness for Ministry of Local Government (Butaleja District Local Government.).
- Training in Revenue Mobilisation for Ministry of Local Government (Yumbe District Local Government)
- Training in the use of revised GTM System for Ministry of Local Government (Pallisa District Local Government).
- Training in Disaster Management for Ministry of Local Government (Amuria District Local Government).
- Training in Roles of Sub county Speakers for Ministry of Local Government (Amuria District Local Government).
- Training of trainers for Ministry of Local Government (Maracha- Terego District Local Government)
- Developing a gender Profile for Ministry of Local Government (Arua District Local Government)
Training in Revenue Mobilization for Higher Local Governments in Kapchorwa District.
- Challenges facing women in achieving gender equality and empowerment as a millennium development goal.
- An evaluation of the impact of trade liberalization on balance of trade in Uganda
- The impact of graduated tax on revenue performance in Kamuli district.
- Factors determining the enrolment of the girl child in secondary schools in Uganda.
- The impact of UPE on the education of children with disabilities in Nakasongola district
- Factors facilitating crime in Uganda.
- Causes of occupational stress with reference to customs staff at Entebbe region.
- The quality of Education Offered under UPE with reference to Nakawa Division Kampala.
- Gained presentation skills from giving presentations at seminars and workshops.
- Chaired high level planning meetings, dealt with staff and partners tactfully and diplomatically.
- Working with consultants and clients on planning, consultancy and training activities involved different roles which developed my negotiation, analytical, listening and persuasion skills
- Successful works have been dependent upon participation and motivation of syndicated groups.
- Experience of working with different categories of people involved planning, organizing, coordinating and commitment which is now part of the skills accumulated overtime.
- Developed strong analytical and diagnostic skills as part of my trainings and education
- Executing different consultancies and heading the planning unit of various organizations has taught me to find solutions to some implementation obstacles in a calm and efficient manner.
- Relates well with others both at places of employment and outside, at all levels. I recognize the importance of valuing individual’s contribution and strength, believing that encouragement provides positive foundation for future organization development.
- Been involved in various qualitative and quantitative research studies (as indicated above), impact assessment studies, socio economic and needs assessment, from design to dissemination stage.
- Gained additional research skills as part of my degree course.
- Impact of bilatetal and multilateral aid on economic growth of Sub Sahara African countries: Moderating effect of quality of institutions.
- Impact of bilateral and multilateral aid on domestic savings of Sub-Sahara African countries: Moderating effect of quality of institutions.
- Moderating effect of managerial discretion on the relationship between market focus strategy and perceived financial performance of commercial banks in Uganda.
- Product Differentiation Strategy and Perceived Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Uganda.
- Product differentiation Strategy and Financial Performance of Commercial Banks in Uganda: Moderating Effect of Managerial Discretion
Effect of market focus strategy on perceived financial performance of commercial banks in Uganda.
- Efficiency and effectiveness of international commercial arbitration laws in the East African region.
- Good working knowledge of several word processing packages including MS Word, MS PowerPoint and Excel.
- Good working knowledge of database and statistical packages including SPSS, Stata and E-views.
- Good networking packages including Microsoft Office Outlook and Internet.
- High level willingness to take on more tasks that others think are more challenging
- Willing to work in difficult conditions.
- Sales ability/persuasiveness.
- Innovative and proactive.
- Highly aggressive and result oriented.
- Cross border thinking.
- Building and leading teams.
- Strong cultural sensitivity.
- Strong interest in working on participatory development issues.